1. Cocoon coat -- The oversized everything trend is currently proving it has staying power, and a cocoon coat is the perfect way to rock it all winter long. It can be tricky to pull off, so making sure you find the right one is key, but it's a look anyone can get on board with. If you're tall, go for a duster. On the petite side like me? Something shorter may be more up your alley.
2. Furry coat -- I still haven't found the one yet, but a fuzzy or faux fur coat of some kind is on my wish list. I like the shorter, boxier ones paired with skinny pants and ankle booties for a super sleek, model who just stepped off the runway look. It's effortless, a little edgy, but also fun. I've been eyeing this one for months now.
3. Neutral coat -- When I say neutral, I'm usually referring to black, but in this case I mean something of the camel, beige, gray (dying over this one), or winter white variety. I'm considering this ivory one for New York Fashion week next month.
4. Puffer coat -- For whatever reason, I have avoided quilted/down/puffer coats like. the. plague. Up until this year when I decided I'd rather be ridiculously warm than anything else. Motherhood, you guys. It changes you! I think I also appreciate a more casual look in general these days. Fortunately, they're making them way cuter than I remember and I wear mine more often than I ever thought I would. This one is similar to the one I have. The fur-trimmed hood is my favorite part!
5. Colored coat -- You don't have to go with hot pink or anything (unless that's your preference, in which case I say more power to you), but a coat in a solid color other than black is always good to have in your arsenal. It's a nice change of pace for when you want to liven up the winter months or stand out in a sea of black and navy blue. I suggest a classic jewel tone like green or a deep plum. Plus, you'll find yourself finding new ways to wear it, which is always fun!
All images via Pinterest
6. Patterned coat -- I love a good printed/patterned coat for when you want to dress up an otherwise basic outfit or to pattern mix. If you prefer to keep it simple, go with something like boucle to create texture. Or go all out with something like this plaid number.
If you're sitting there thinking, "Hey, some of these can be combined!" then bonus points for you. You can absolutely hit multiple trends with just one purchase, which is always a win in my book! Do you have a favorite style?